Name: Jason Leppert
Home Base: San Diego, CA
Last Trip: Disney Fantasy Christmas Cruise
Next Trip: MSC Divina Caribbean Cruise
1. What are three things you take on every trip?
I must admit the first three things that come to mind are my crucial pieces of gear: Apple iPhone, Apple MacBook Air, and Sony Alpha 5100 camera and lenses.
2. What is your best remedy for jet lag?
Good question. Generally, I find it helps to sleep as much as you can flying eastbound and stay awake as much as you can flying westbound.
3. What is the first thing you do when you get to a new place?
As it’s often on a cruise, I explore the ship and try to get acclimated to the deck plan as much as I can. It’s always a fun time to see a ship that’s entirely new to me for the very first time.
4. What place has the best food? The worst food?
In my experience, the best food is in Paris, France, and the worst is in my own kitchen.
5. What is one place that changed your outlook on life?
The Holy Land will do that to you for certain. There’s nothing quite else like walking through and experiencing Biblical settings firsthand.
6. What is your favorite travel quote?
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
7. Is there any music that inspires you to travel?
My all-time favorite music genre is film scores actually because it’s so emotionally charged. A good film score, especially from Hans Zimmer or Michael Giacchino, will take you places.
8. What is your craziest true travel story?
It may not be the craziest, but the coolest thing I’ve had a chance to do in my travel career is visit the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany and see the Disney Fantasy, Celebrity Reflection and Norwegian Breakaway under construction at the time. The enormous scale of the facility is super impressive.
9. How do you think that travel videos can be useful to travelers, even if they aren’t filmmakers themselves?
I think in the case of cruise reviews and ship tours, it gives travelers a visual sense of what they can expect onboard and off in a way that a static brochure or website never can.
10. What is the goal/philosophy of your videos?
I hope to inform people about cruises to inspire them to take one and continue to come back onboard.
11. What advice do you have for someone who wants to make travel videos?
Technology has made it so simple to put filmmaking in the hands of everyone, so just get out there and do it, even if it’s just using the camera on your phone.
12. What is your best travel tip?
Take a cruise. There is not a more relaxing way to see several iconic destinations in a single trip.