Name: Gareth Leonard
Home Base: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Last Trip: World Cup
Next Trip: Northeastern Brazil
1. What are three things you take on every trip?
I never leave home without my Macbook Pro, Exofficio underwear and positive attitude.
2. What is your best remedy for jet lag?
I strongly believe in exercise over a nap. You need to get the blood flowing with a run, swim or workout of some kind. Also, water is the remedy for everything.
3. What is the first thing you do when you get to a new place?
Find the highest lookout point and the central market.
4. What place has the best food? The worst food?
My favorites include Peruvian ceviche, Colombian Bandaje Paisa, Argentine Bife de Chorizo and Brazilian Açaí. And as for the worst… Bolivia can be tough if you’re eating at a local level.
5. What is one place that changed your outlook on life?
Machu Picchu. The hype is real.
6. What is your favorite travel quote?
“Dreams don’t work unless you do.” Not exactly a travel quote, but it’s definitely true. The harder you work the luckier you get.
7. Is there any music that inspires you to travel?
Any Salt-N-Peppa song.
8. What is your craziest true travel story?
It involves two Colombians, mango slices, a bottle of aguadiente and a small, back-alley salsa club in Medellin, Colombia… that’s all I can say in writing.
9. How do you think that travel videos can be useful to travelers, even if they aren’t filmmakers themselves?
Travel videos are meant to inspire and educate people about the world around them. As a traveler, it’s great to have some visuals of where you’re going or where you’d like to go.
10. What is the goal/philosophy of your videos?
I want to entertain viewers and motivate people who wish for a life of travel. That’s the correct answer, right? The real reason is to make all my exes jealous… Hey Lisa who dumped me in 8th grade, how do you like me now!?
11. What advice do you have for someone who wants to make travel videos?
Go further, do more, be creative. Be original. Too many people follow the same patterns and make the same content. Be yourself and push the envelope.
12. What is your best travel tip?
Meet, interact and listen to locals. This is the simple philosophy that I travel by.
Watch travel videos by Gareth Leonard here.