1. What are three things you take on every trip?
50mm 1.2, mini speaker, double USB Adapter, close third…sleeping pills for long haul flights
2. What is your best remedy for jet lag?
No need. Jet lag is one of my favorite things. Nothing beats waking up at 3 a.m. and getting a full day of work in before everyone wakes up.
3. What is the first thing you do when you get to a new place?
Get in a taxi, get to a destination + Drop my bags… Shoot.
4. What place has the best food? The worst food?
Mexico + Vietnam! Worst…meet locals and you’ll always find a good meal.
5. What is one place that changed your outlook on life?
The hospitals of Rwanda.
6. What is your favorite travel quote?
Life, it’s like a roller coaster + I’m gonna ride it till the wheels fall off. -jw
7. Is there any music that inspires you to travel?
All of it! It’s like wine and you pair it.
8. What is your craziest true travel story?
I was able to witness a 73 yr old man get his cleft lip repaired + seeing his wife’s reaction will live with me forever. After being rejected by his sons + grandchildren for 50+ yrs, he was welcomed back into the family.
9. How do you think that travel videos can be useful to travelers, even if they aren’t filmmakers themselves?
Videos have the magic ability to emotionally engage with an audience and it’s what we all seek when traveling, and to be able to share that with others is a real privilege.
10. What is the goal/philosophy of your videos?
Shoot it like a magazine spread, focus on the details and let the viewer connect the dots. Simple.
11. What advice do you have for someone who wants to make travel videos?
Stop thinking about it and grab a camera and go do it. The only difference between them and the people who are making videos is that they’re doing it.
12. What is your best travel tip?
Don’t listen to your friends + meet locals, they always know best.
Watch travel videos by Justin Weiler here.