1. What are three things you take on every trip?
Camera, laptop, passport.
2. What is your best remedy for jet lag?
Take a walk or keep active.
3. What is the first thing you do when you get to a new place?
I like to just walk around the neighborhood, not take any photos or videos at the beginning, but just try to soak in the atmosphere and environment.
4. What place has the best food? The worst food?
I’m really a lover of food from all over the world, but perhaps if I had to choose just one, I would choose Thailand. For the worst, I haven’t come across any yet.
5. What is one place that changed your outlook on life?
Kenya. I spent some years in Kenya, and both the country and the people I knew, helped to create my outlook on life.
6. What is your favorite travel quote?
Our whole perspective on life can be altered by the digestion of a heavy lunch, I feel quite a different person before and after a meal. – Michel de Montaigne
7. Is there any music that inspires you to travel?
Lingala music from DR Congo.
8. What is your craziest true travel story?
Not sure about a crazy travel story, but something I think it crazy amazing is how many generous and kind people you will meet when you travel. From Argentina to Sri Lanka, I’ve shared meals with people, and connected with so many incredible people through food.
9. How do you think that travel videos can be useful to travelers, even if they aren’t filmmakers themselves?
I think travel videos can be watched for entertainment and for inspiration, or they can actually be filled with practical tips and used as travel guides.
10. What is the goal/philosophy of your videos?
One of the things I love about travel videos is that I’m learning about something at the same time as I’m sharing. So my goal is to inspire, but to also try to offer something valuable, like tips or advice at the same time. Also my goal is to try to be a positive influence by connecting with other cultures.
11. What advice do you have for someone who wants to make travel videos?
Go for it, and don’t make excuses as to why you can’t do it. Even with just a small point and shoot camera, you can start making travel videos. Also, no matter where you are, even if you’re in your own home city, you can make travel videos.
12. What is your best travel tip?
If you have a goal to travel somewhere, make it your priority, no matter what situation you’re in.
Watch travel videos by Mark Wiens here.